Where can you find a collection of engagement rings that goes above and beyond your expectations for variety and quality? Leo Hamel’s Fine Jewelry & Engagement Ring Store is the largest independent jewelry store in San Diego and might just be your best answer.
Traditional engagement rings in San Diego
Do you appreciate traditional designs that have a timeless appeal? That’s the reason they have become classic. A round brilliant cut diamond set in a platinum solitaire ring is a beautiful expression of love and devotion, and has become the traditional modern engagement ring. The 58-facet round brilliant cut is mathematically proportioned to maximize each diamond’s sparkle and fire. The prong setting is best for exposing the diamond to as much light as possible, which enhances its scintillation.
Platinum, the favorite American jewelry metal, is highly durable, scratch-resistant and hypoallergenic. Not only does platinum look elegant and sophisticated but it also ages wonderfully, acquiring a charismatic layer of patina over time. This traditional ring symbolizes unity, eternity and strength of love and promise.
However, the round brilliant cut diamond solitaire is not the only traditional engagement ring. There are variations of this quintessential model. The princess cut diamond is also well loved, and some women are passionate about the emerald cut diamond. Any shape of diamond can be set in a classic solitaire ring.
Trendy engagement rings in San Diego
Personalized variations of the diamond solitaire are trending now. What details can make the solitaire a unique fit for your preferences and lifestyle?
- Adding a halo of smaller diamonds around the center stone intensifies the sparkle of the ring, and also makes the center diamond appear bigger.
- Pavé setting adds a continuous sparkle to the ring which emphasizes the movements of the hand.
- Fancy-cut diamonds such as emerald cut, marquise cut, pear cut, heart cut and cushion cut can all give your ring its own character, aligned to the personality of the future bride.
- Rose gold is becoming more and more popular and not without merit. Its warm hue looks vintage and classy.
- Colored gemstones have been beloved in engagement rings even longer than diamonds. Now they are making a comeback, with sapphires, rubies and fancy colored diamonds leading the trend.
- A three-stone setting is a charming alternative to the solitaire, either setting two smaller diamonds on either side of the center diamond, or going with colored gemstones to set off your white center diamond. The center and side stones can be a variety of shapes such as round, emerald, and square.
- More elaborate ring designs such as a split or twisted shank bear an occasion-appropriate symbolism that can make your ring even more unique.
Antique and vintage engagement rings in San Diego
Many brides prefer a vintage or antique engagement ring because of its heirloom character. Antique engagement rings were handcrafted using jewelry-making processes which have virtually vanished. This rarity adds to their appeal. We meticulously restore every antique and vintage ring in our collection, and cover it with a warranty for your peace of mind.
Antique rings are at least 100 years old, whereas vintage rings are between 20 and 100 years old. These are some of the periods during which vintage and antique rings were created, each with a distinctive style all their own:
- Georgian period (1700 – 1837) – symmetrical, highly decorative designs
- Victorian period (1837 – 1901) – romantic and sentimental
- Edwardian (1901 – 1915) – delicate and airy
- Art Nouveau (1895 – 1910) – flowing and nature-inspired
- Art Deco (1920 – 1939) – geometric and decorative
- Retro period (1940 – 1950) – feminine and glamorous
- Mid-century (1950 – 1960) – elegant and bold
Visit us in our showroom on San Diego Avenue
The only way to see all of the rings that we have to offer is to visit our luxurious showroom on San Diego Avenue. Our expert salespeople can guide you through finding the perfect ring for your bride-to-be. Our selection of engagement rings literally changes daily!
Choose from a vast collection of new and like-new engagement rings, as well as unique custom-made rings of exceptional quality. In our 37 years in the engagement ring business, we’ve helped over 50,000 aspiring fiancés find the right ring that will make her say, “Yes!”